In the past decade, leaders in health professions education have recognised the need to further professionalise the standing of those with responsibility for clinical education. Ministries of Health, health regulators and healthcare organisations increasingly expect those with responsibility for teaching, mentoring and assessing clinicians to use evidence-based methodologies in education, leadership and research to underpin their activities.
This Postgraduate Certificate / Postgraduate Diploma and Masters in Medical Education for Healthcare Professionals from the University of Warwick (ranked 8th in the United Kingdom and 62nd in the world), offers an international and interprofessional experience to clinicians wishing to further their careers and become leaders in educating healthcare practitioners.
The programmes cover the principles and methods of teaching and learning and their application to healthcare. The programmes provide you with the skills needed to plan and deliver successful teaching and learning sessions. Taught by experienced clinicians and leading academics in the field of medical education, this programme will enhance your knowledge and skills as an educator and give you the confidence to apply them in your own professional practice. There are 3 exits from the programme:
|Title||CATS / ECTS||Duration|
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 / 30||6 months|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 / 60||12 months|
|Master of Science||180 / 90||22 months|
Distinguishing Features of the programme:
- Heavily focussed on 'Learning by doing' - Stimulating formative assessments and group work
- Interprofessional - this programme will welcome all HCWs
- Developed by international educators of the highest calibre.
- 'Assessment for Learning' rather than 'Assessment of Learning'
- Truly international: this programme prides itself on bringing together diverse clinicians from all over the globe.
- Reflective summative learning
- No final exam
- Safe - non-judgmental environment to learn within a culturally diverse group dynamic
- Evidence-based education
- Interactive, stimulating and most importantly Fun! with high touch points and group interaction to ensure engagement and low levels of attrition
Benefits for the graduate:
- A Masters in Medical Education is the currency for building a reputation in medical education.
- Eases the progression from Royal College member to fellow and aids with revalidation
- It is a pre-requisite to hold a minimum of a PgCert to become a teaching fellow in the Higher Education Authority
- Unique Training opportunity for individuals who want to develop expertise as medical educators
- Move beyond or combine a clinical career with a teaching career which will have a positive impact on career trajectory and remuneration
- Support the learning and development of more junior colleagues
- Understand new and emerging education and learning technologies
- Become a leader in medical education
- Contribute to the Medical Education Research Community
- Be exposed to global leaders in medical education
- Benefit from the 'outstanding' reputation of Warwick Medical School
- Network with a variety of like-minded professionals
- Access the unique iheed and Warwick Medical School medical education innovative Learning Platform
- Undertake a flexible mode of study
- Exit with a postgraduate diploma or masters qualification
- Expand your knowledge through both clinicians and education specialists
Participants on the Certificate / Diploma / MSc. in Medical Education will be recognised as effective clinical supervisors and motivators of student learning through the application of adult learning theory, evidence-based curriculum development and teaching, use of technology in education, assessment design and research methodology.
Master of Science, UK Level 7
University of Warwick
Evidence of proficiency in the English language
Hold a degree of relevance to the delivery of medical education granted by a recognised institution
Need to be actively engaged in Medical Education so that learnings can be applied
What will I study?
This 22-month online Masters in Medical Education programme blends self-directed learning with Tutor-led team-based learning. Throughout the course, you'll engage in:
- Online group tutorials
- Stimulating Formative Assessments
- Summative Reflective Exercises
- Tutor-moderated discussion forums
- Introduction to teaching and learning in a healthcare setting
- Planning a teaching session
- Teaching and learning in different group structures/formats
- Professional development for teaching
- Assignment guidance tutorials & self-directed learning
- Examination and critique of published frameworks and models of ‘effective’ and ‘excellent’ teaching
- Key concepts and processes in curriculum design
- Models of interprofessional education and their evidence base
- Generic capabilities relating to teaching expertise (professional identity formation, team working, communication)
- Processes and methods of reflective practice
Current methods and directions in both formative and summative assessment of learning underpinning a programme of assessment will be explored, including:
- assessment tools
- standard-setting methods
- assessment of professionalism
- Needs analysis and selection of learning technology approaches/solutions
- Creating content using learning technologies for medical education
- Review of current issues surrounding the sharing of learning resources
- Review of social networking and collaborative learning
- Education delivery skills in a blended learning environment
- Design of suitable research question to inform selected topic.
- Methods for literature searching.
- Introduction to different types of research and how to apply them.
- Understand the role of ethical review and ethical principles in medical education research, including patient consent
- An introduction to management
- leadership and followership in multi-professional teams
- Leadership, management and followership within health service contexts
- Change management
- Team Dynamics
- The Master of Science covers: Literature searching, Formulating a research question, Study design, Writing a research protocol, Presenting a research protocol, Preparing a poster presentation, Critical writing and Writing for publication
- Your research-based professional project will culminate in a ‘conference ready’ poster presentation and article ready for submission to peer-reviewed journals
- Graduates will receive a Master of Science from the prestigious University of Warwick, ranked 8th in the UK and 62nd in the world
- Graduates will be recognised as leaders who can mentor less experienced professionals
- Designed and delivered by world-leading experts
- No need to take time away from work or travel to a classroom
- Local CME accreditation awarded
- Available anytime, anywhere, on any device
Ready to find out more?
Fill in the form below to receive the full program details, including pricing, funding and intake dates.