Combining practical and case-based learning, delivered by a network of local and global diabetes experts, this online Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes gives participants a deep understanding of all aspects of diabetes management, enabling graduates to excel in their healthcare career.
This programme is validated by the University of Warwick, ranked in the top 10 in the United Kingdom and 54th in the world.
Designed specifically to cater to busy healthcare professionals, the programme is based on international best practice in diabetes education and follows the patient journey from diagnosis to old age. It is delivered through a blended programme of workshops and face-to-face online tutorials, using best practice in medical education.
The Postgraduate Diploma is 12 months in duration comprising face to face clinical workshops, live synchronous tutorials, discussion forums and state-of-the-art innovative and engaging online content, which can be accessed anytime, anywhere on any device.
Currently undergoing validation by the University, following successful completion of the Postgraduate Diploma, students will be able to seamlessly progress to the Master of Science. The M.Sc. is an additional 8 months of study and comprises a research methodologies module and a professional project. Within the professional project, you will be asked to produce and communicate a piece of work informed by the forefront of research and evaluation, with the potential for publication in a medical journal for a professional audience.
Apply today to avail of a place in our 2019 intake.
The course was an exceptional value and tremendous experience. The course material is well organised, well referenced and evidence-based. In the first 6 weeks of undertaking the diploma, I gained the confidence to make my clinical decision in the management of diabetes.Dr Ahmed Maitieg
I thoroughly enjoyed sharing my clinical experiences with colleagues. My diabetes competency improved hugely, the skills for changing patient’s behaviour via motivational interview, the updated knowledge about new medication and caring for patients with diabetes.Dr Dalal Al Hajeri
At the age of 54, I was very nervous doing this program, but I am delighted I did so. These skills I learned can transfer across any chronic disease and I can now engage very competently not only with diabetes patients but heart failure and COPD presentations.Dr Paddy Davern
UK Level 7, IE Level 9
University of Warwick
Evidence of proficiency in the English language
Full employment in a medical practice throughout the duration of the programme
Medical or health-related science degree granted by a recognised institution
What will I study?
This programme utilises a case-study based approach, requires 2 face-to-face workshops delivered in your local region, weekly virtual classroom tutorials and an interactive discussion forum. The programme tutors comprise international experts and local subject specialists.
- Diagnosis – what is diabetes?
- Screening – what is screening, why is it important, what are the pros and cons?
- Pre-diabetes and the prevention of diabetes – what it is, why it is important, and what should be done about it?
- Epidemiology (including the set up and management of diabetes registers) – why is diabetes important?
- Classification and clinical presentation (including secondary diabetes) – what are the different types of diabetes?
- Why is this distinction important?
- Evidence based medicine
- Metformin, pioglitazone, sulfonylureas, acarbose and glitinides
- Dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP-IV), Sodium glucose co-trans porter 2 (SGLT-2)
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)
- Basal and prandial insulin
- Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), artificial pancreas
- Metabolic surgery, islet cell transplantation
- Children and young adults with T2DM
- Patient empowerment, chronic care model
- Behavioural change (including smoking cessation and immunisation)
- Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE), Diabetes Education and Self- Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed (DESMOND), Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- Physical activity
- Self-monitoring, sick days, hypos
- Acute complications (including DKA, HHS and severe hypos)
- Pathophysiology of microvascular complications
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Foot care
- Primary and secondary prevention of microvascular complications
- Pathophysiology of macrovascular complications
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
- Treatment of hypertension and hyperlipidaemia
- Primary and secondary prevention of macrovascular complications
- Sexual health, pre-pregnancy and pregnancy (including Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM))
- Diabetes in later life
- Sports and travel
- Mental health issues
- The multidisciplinary team
- Patient education campaign
- Digital and social media
- The University of Warwick is ranked in the top 10 in the United Kingdom and 54th in the World and is an internationally-recognised centre of excellence delivering the highest standards of diabetes education
- The University of Warwick is recognised as a recommended e-Learning University in the UAE
- Graduates become key opinion leaders in diabetes, leading to career advancement
- Following successful completion of the Pg. Dip Diabetes, participants will be able to seamlessly progress to the Master of Science
- No need to take time away from work
- Designed and delivered by world leading experts
- Available anytime, anywhere, on any device
- 91% overall satisfaction rating
- 100% satisfaction rating with tutors
- Upon completion of the programme, you will have gained:
- A leading-edge understanding of all aspects of diabetes
- Competencies and confidence in the diagnosis, treatment, management, and care of people with diabetes
- Ability to promote research and the application of current scientific evidence
- Ability to apply the principles of patient-centred care and problem-solving skills in the context of diabetes